Thursday, February 19, 2009

The "Potty Rebellion"

Yes, more potty training talk. It's really the only thing going on around here these days. Isabel seems to be rebelling, I don't know if it's against me or just against using the potty but she's been wetting in her pull-ups a lot lately. And then she smiles about it. What's up with that? It's like she's testing me or something. I try not to get irritated with her but it can be really difficult with that child.
And then there's Jackson who has been really surprising me with how quickly he caught on with the whole thing. If you could just see his smile when he does it. So incredibly cute, that boy of mine.
BUT, I dropped the kids off at their "school" Wednesday and the teacher tells me the exact opposite thing is going on there. Isabel does a GREAT job at school and Jackson rarely even tries to go for his teachers. And if he tries it's not usually a success. So is Jackson only comfortable when he's at home with us? And is Isabel so comfy at home that she's testing the waters of rebellion? Trying to make me lose my mind? Maybe.
So what I have done is started to bribe my kids with what they hold most dear to their little hearts - M&M's. I probably should have gone with a healthier option like a sticker reward system or something but I was desperate and I did have a stash of M&M's around. I told them they got ONE M&M for a t.t. in the potty and that they got FIVE for a poopie (still hasn't happened). All was going well until Isabel found a loophole. I checked her pull-up and it was wet. I took it off and told her that she didn't get a M&M if she wet her pants. So she sits on her potty and manages to squeeze out that last little bit of pee into her potty. She stood up, showed it to me and then asked for her candy. I told her no, that she wet her pull-ups. But she looked at me with that damn sweet little face and said, "But Mommy, I t.t.'d in the potty). And she did, it wasn't much but she did it so I gave her the candy. Ugh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I could totally see that bribe backfiring on me as well. Thanks for the head up. I will be sure to add the provisions to my bribe when I have to use it.
Oh, so much to look forward to!