Sunday, June 14, 2009

Big boy underwear!


I cannot tell you how proud I am of Jackson. He has been wearing pull-ups for a long time and doing pretty well (much, much better than Isabel). His teacher asked me to send him to school on Thursday in "big boy underwear". Let's say I was skeptical to say the least. Excited but worried. I mean, do you use the same product on people urine as you do the dogs? We are, unfortunately, very experienced in cleaning up doggy "t-t". Anyway, he stayed dry at school all day on Thursday but he did have an accident at home. He was running to the potty so I am going to still consider that a success. The first problem came at bedtime. I tried to take off his 'big boy underwear" and put on a pull-up. He had a total and complete freak-out. I waited for him to calm down and tried again. Not going to happen. I knew there was no way in hell he could go all night and not wet the bed. So I got some of the "wee-wee pads" our old dog pees on in the middle of the night and laid them across the middle of the bed. Then I laid a towel over the pads. Voila! Problem solved. Or so I thought. Isabel woke up in the middle of the night so I went in to check on her. I swept her up and put her in my bed so as to not wake up Jackson. But he was awake so I checked his underwear. Dry! So I ran to get the potty and bring it in their room. Too late. He totally wet himself in the 3 seconds it took me to grab the potty. Crap!

Next night was the same freak-out when I tried to take the underwear off. I was not looking forward to the whole "trying to potty in the middle of the night" thing again. I knew this whole potty training thing wouldn't be easy but WOW. He did give me a break on Saturday and wore a pull-up. I had a ton of errands to run and a child friendly baby shower we were all invited to and I had no idea how to deal with all this. Did I mention he only likes to use the potty at school and his potty at home. He has not and will not use a normal adult size potty. So how am I going to run errands?

Yesterday while shopping for the baby shower gift I bought the smallest potty I could find and put it in the back of the car. So today we went to the park for about 30 min and then to Lowe's. I whipped the potty out of the back, put it down in the parking lot, asked him to TT in the potty and he did. Success! I know it's not an ideal situation but I'm desperate. It is now after 7 o'clock on Sunday and we have not had 1 accident! (He hasn't pooped today, though. Ugh.)

The point of all this potty talk is, I AM SO PROUD OF HIM!!!! I love you Jackson!
**Quick Edit:
I didn't even mention how incredibly cute he's been. He's been running around the house wearing nothing but his Thomas undies (he did wear Diego once) and the biggest smile on his sweet little face. That boy just makes my heart melt.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I am glad to hear your stories about the potty because we will be heading there soon....figure it all out for us Jyl, OK??LOL
A friend with 4 kids got us this potty on the go

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L1496-Potty-On-the-Go/dp/B000K7IF1O

Have not used it yet, but interesting concept.

Mom2J&I said...

Thanks Jen! I just ordered it!!

Mom said...

Way to go, Jackson! I'm sure Isabel will join him soon and you'll be free of the diaper bag!

You know, kids do things when they are ready. Not so much when you are ready. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yay, Jackson! Those are about the cutest underpants I have seen!! What a big boy!!

Holly Browder said...

Go Jackson!!!!!