Sunday, January 11, 2009

I have to do it and I need to do it now

I have to do it. And I know I need to do it quickly. Just like a band-aid. Just get rid of it and now. I am referring to Jackson's bottle. Yes, he is 2 1/2 years old and is addicted (I am not exagerating here) to the damn bottle. It hangs out of his mouth like a pacifier. I have grown to loathe the bottle. All I had to do is tell Isabel that she had to drink out of a cup instead of a bottle and it was so. He is insanely attached to this thing. Months ago I stopped allowing it out of the house. He tries to talk with the thing hanging out of his mouth. I am almost at the end of my rope. I know I should just throw them away and deal with the consequences but somthing is holding me back. Am I waiting on a miracle? I guess so.
Here's my new plan:
I have been telling him for weeks that we need to give the bottles to the babies. I'm trying to prepare him, I suppose. Well, now I'm telling him that we need to give the bottles to the baby squirrels (it's out there, I know). So the plan is to have HIM carry the bottles outside and put them by a tree and say bye bye to his ba-ba's. Then I will have Kevin sneak out, remove them from our house and replace the bag of bottles with a new truck. I'm going to tell him that the Mommy squirrels are thanking him for the bottles. I'm hoping this will help him to remember that they are gone and that HE gave them away, not me. Well, that's it, what do you think? I think today is going to be the day (if I don't chicken out, of course). I'll keep you updated and would love any advice. I can't have the only kid in the world addicted to a bottle, right??
Wish me luck!!!!

4 comments:

Samantha said...

I think your idea is brilliant. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man jyl...that is a good one! Gave me a good laugh! We are down to one bottle a day in the evening and we are going to try and eliminate it by their birthday...in 2 weeks! Might try your technique if it works, although the wildlife is pretty frozen around here! haha

Catherine said...

Sounds like a perfect plan to me!!! I would also get him a very special sippy cup for him to use. It will be tough for a few days but don't back down AND don't go to Wal-mart to pick up a new one!!! Stay strong- YOU CAN DO IT!!! And when you succeed you can come to my house and work on Isabella spitting!

Heather said...

No your not the only one with a kid addicted to baba.I can see this being Khai at 2.5 yrs old. The kid is addicted. He must drink 8 bottles during the day and night. If he gets hurt he screams for a baba,if he gets in trouble he wants a baba,if he gets caught hurting his sister he wants a baba.

It is so weird because none of my bio kids ever got a bottle. I weaned them from breast feeding right to a sippy cup at a year old. I also didn't have two little ones to get to sleep at the same time by myself back then.

I like your idea and may use it myself if it works. Glad to have you test the waters for me;)

Good luck, I will keep my fingers crossed.