Saturday, January 17, 2009

Iz got a boo-boo and Jackson won't drink milk

I got a call yesterday morning at work from the church where the kids go to "school" that Isabel had fallen and hit her head and that they thought one of us needed to come and see her. They said not to worry and that she was fine but that she had a good size knot on her head, a bruise, and a small cut. Needeless to say I rushed to see my baby and she looked pretty bad. I called the pediatrician and told them we were on our way. We didn't have an appt so we ended up waiting for over an hour to see the Dr and by the time we did, the swelling had already started to go down and it wasn't as blue/bruised looking. The nurse cleaned her cut and she was SOOOOOO brave. You could tell by the look on her face that even she was proud of herself. No tears, no fear. (If it had of been Jackson there would have been LOTS of screaming and crying. The Dr even said he was glad it was Isabel and not Jackson :) ). Our Dr came and went a couple of times and when he would leave the room she would say, "I not scared Mommy". She was so good and such a big girl. I'm so proud of her. She is still a little swollen but not too much discoloration any more so she is just fine!

Now to Jackson..... It has been 6 nights without a bottle and he is flat out refusing to drink any milk. He wants NOTHING to do with milk. I have bought every sippy cup I have found that I thought he might like but nothing works. He is only drinking apple juice. He has a Thomas the Train cup and a Nemo cup he loves but I am not allowed to put milk in them. They drink the Motts for Tots juice which is less in sugar but he is drinking so much of it that I have started cutting it with water. This morning I offered him milk in a cup without a lid and he said no (Isabel said yes to that but then spilled it all over the place so back to the sippy cup). Short of offering him milk in a champagne flute I'm out of ideas.
He does still ask for a "ba-ba" every day (a couple of times) but he doesn't cry so we're doing great but he just won't drink any milk. Maybe this will pass.....







6 comments:

Jen said...

What a brave soldier Iz! Just like my two, Jer is the one who would have gone crazy. Boys....
I thought I saw a Thomas shirt on Jackson...

Kelly said...

When Lucy gave up the bottle, she basically stopped drinking milk. For months she would drink none. I now get to drink a small cup every day but it has to be flavored. Terrible, I know, but I got so desperate. I just don't understand it. It certainly tastes no different from a sippy cup. So weird. I hope it gets better.

Debbie said...

Poor Iz. :-( What a brave girl.

Same milk problems here. I hate to admit that Mariah drinks very little milk. My ped shrugs her shoulders and says to give her yogurt, cheese and ice cream. Amazingly, she has no problem eating any of those, especially ice cream. ;-)

Susan said...

UGH!!! I hate making those phone calls to parents... but it's always good to get it checked out! And how brave!!!

On the milk thing... Elizabeth has never been a big milk drinker... she'll drink chocolate milk but really has never loved it (I wasn't a big milk drinker either). I always have her lots of yogurt and cheese to counter act it!

Anonymous said...

Annika still loves her milk, but, I don't think it is necessary at all. Yogurt and cheese offer the same thing. If you really want him to drink milk, try bribing with flavored milk (chocolate or strawberry or even vanilla) then start reducing the flavoring until he is back to none.

Poor Iz! I'm glad she is brave. All women handle pain better than men. Or at least, that is my experience. :)

LaDonna

Susan said...

Totally know how Iz feels... read this from my blog.... http://slmward.blogspot.com/2008/09/who-knew-running-was-so-dangerous.html Keep neosporin or vaseline on the boo boo and any mark will go away quicker.... honest! Had a dermatologist friend tell me that the day it happened!!!